- This event has passed.
Volunteer, Learn and Explore at the San Diego River Mouth
May 13 at 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Join us to kick-off the 20th Annual San Diego River Days!
Multiple partners will be coming together to host a variety of fun and meaningful activities at the beautiful San Diego River Mouth. This is one of the most visited stretches of the San Diego River, and for good reason: there are so many beautiful habitats and recreation resources to explore! Join us for some breakfast treats and a short welcome before you make your way into one of several activity choices (or try them all):
- Education Activity: Bring the kids for a hands-on environmental education activity hosted by The San Diego River Park Foundation‘s Cool River Education Team.
- Volunteer: Volunteer to restore coastal habitat by removing invasive weeds and seeds and taking an informational tour, co-hosted by The San Diego River Park Foundation and the City of San Diego‘s Ranger Sonja Nystuen.
- Birdwatching: Learn a little about special feathered friends that call this area home with docent-led birdwatching by the San Diego Audubon Society
- Wildflower Seed Giveaway: Check out a booth hosted by the The Pollinator Initiative, which aims to engage the community in planting pollinator-friendly flowers through distributing a free wildflower mix. The wildflower seed mix has 23 species of annual and perennial flowers designed to thrive in California. It attracts bees, butterflies, flies and other pollinators.
- Meet Sweep-E! Think Blue San Diego will be on site with “Sweep-E,” their new zero-emission electric street sweeper, and kids will have a chance to learn about taking action to prevent pollution.
RSVP Required HERE.
- Family Friendly (All Ages)
- Closed-toe shoes required
- Long pants required
- Sun protection (hat, sunscreen, sunglasses) recommended
- Bring your own reusable water bottle
- Bring your own snacks
- Event tools and supplies will be provided
- There are no restrooms available at this event
- Participating in this event will include walking on uneven terrain and/or some stopping and bending
- Community service hours can be verified for volunteers at this event
This activity is co-hosted with the City of San Diego Park and Recreation Dept., the San Diego Audubon Society, the Pollinator Initiative and The San Diego River Park Foundation, and Think Blue San Diego.