- This event has passed.
Lakeside River Park Cleanup
May 20 at 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Lakeside’s River Park Conservancy sits on 100 acres of wetlands restored from a former sand mine along the San Diego River. Since 2001, native plants have been growing thick and an increasing number of birds and animals have called the river park home. Recent spring rains have brought a historic level of water through the property, where water is naturally held, filtered, and recharged into the local water table. With flowing water often comes community trash that gets washed into wild habitat. Careful removal of this trash improves the health of the riparian ecosystem and all the creatures that depend on it. Volunteers will be asked to bag trash and remove large items from the river bed, placing them into provided dumpsters.
- Ages 16+. Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Closed-toe shoes required
- Long pants required
- Sun protection (hat, sunscreen, sunglasses) recommended
- Bring your own reusable water bottle
- Event tools and supplies will be provided
- If volunteers have favorite work gloves, snake gaiters, or “grabbing” tools to handle trash, then these can all be brought from home
- There will be restroom facilities available at the event
- Participating in this event will include walking on uneven terrain and/or some stopping and bending
- Community service hours can be verified for volunteers at this event
Presented by Lakeside’s River Park Conservancy